Monday, April 8, 2013

Dita Von Teese in 1. 2. 3.




I’m a big Dita Von Teese fan. It was only two years ago that I spoke with the poster girl of 'all things vintage' over a crackling phone.

At this point I was still interning at Madison magazine when I was asked to talk to the burlesque beauty. I had a couple of hours up my sleeve to prepare some questions, but needless to say my heart was beating quite fast.

To me she was all dark glossy hair, ruby red lips, white as snow skin with a ‘I couldn’t give a damn’ attitude. I liked that she didn’t play by the rules. She dated Marilyn Manson for goodness sake! Even I wouldn’t do that!

Anyway, today I stumbled upon this video of Dita speaking with Laura Brown from Harpers Bazaar and I immediately remembered what it was like chatting away to Dita on the phone.

The most likable aspect was how genuine she was. She mentioned to me on the phone how hard it was to find someone she could relate to, she said men rarely approached her because they didn’t know where to begin. When you think about it, how often does the average man, in this day and age, come across a lady that throws everything that the millennium has to offer to the wayside?

 She was also picked on at school for being different, and unlike other celebrities who claimed to be ‘nerds’ in school, but you look at them and think “Psch! Really? As if” – I could actually imagine people not liking her, because of how much of an individual she was and still is.

I’ve even read that to this day, despite her fame and fortune, she still prefers to dye her hair jet black at home… herself. Not a celebrity hair colourist in sight. Now that puts a smile on my face.

Here are three ways to get Dita’s look:

1. The Red Lips –

Dita was famous for saying the following (and I’m sure M.A.C sales went through the roof!)

"You either wear a very matte lipstick that’s very dry and doesn’t bleed, like MAC Ruby Roo or Russian Red, or you wear something that’s shiny and you look at it every, like, half hour to make sure it’s OK. There’s not really a secret. There’s no trick!"

However, I think the best colour to go for, if you want Dita’s lips, is Chanel’s Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour in #99 Pirate. It’s rich. It’s velverty. It hydrates. And it’s very, very Dita.

2. The LBD –


Well you can thank Dita herself for this one. She designed it after all! This form fitting LBD (that Dita mentions in the video above called The Second Look Dress) is simple, sleek and can be worn almost anywhere. What’s not to love?

3. The Loubies –

Christian Louboutin often sites Dita as one of his main inspirations. He bows down to her. And she bows down to his shoes. It’s a match made is heaven right?

They might be a splurge but Dita has always felt best dressed to the nines. I couldn’t agree more.

"I was very upset that I couldn't wear my Easter Sunday dress or my Christmas dresses all the time. It didn't make sense to me that I couldn't wear something pretty all the time. So I began plotting my womanhood at a young age."


SS x



No comments: